For those, like me, who are dyslexic, Ashwagandha looks like a nightmarish, made-up word. But what is it and what are the benefits of taking it? Well, I'm here to break it down for you...without getting too nerdy. Oh, and trying not to misspell it.
Ashwagandha, also known as Indian Ginseng, is an ancient medicinal herb that is used for its adaptogenic benefits, such as:
1. Stress Relief - One common use for the ancient root is for stress relief. But how? By lowering the amount of cortisol, aka the stress hormone, in the body. As many of you know from personal experience, any strain on your body such as stress or exhaustion can make you tired and leave you feeling drained. By reducing your stress with the help of Ashwagandha, you indirectly increase your energy levels. It sounds like a win-win to me!
2. Increase Muscle Mass and Strength - What a great bonus benefit!? You might be taking Ashwagandha for your mental health, but you also could be improving your physical health. Do it for the gains!
3. Boost of Brain Function and Memory - Ashwagandha may improve brain function, memory, reaction time, and the ability to perform tasks (Spritzler). By protecting your brain and nerve cells from free radicals, Ashwagandha can increase antioxidant production. Brain gains!
4. Lower Blood Sugar - Ashwagandha has been shown to have positive effects on the insulin levels in your body, therefore, reducing blood sugar levels in both healthy people and those with diabetes (Spritzler).
5. Help Fight Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression - There is limited research on Ashwagandha and it’s the connection with depression, BUT the few studies that have been conducted show that it may help alleviate depression.
So while we specifically chose to fortify our products with Ashwagandha for the stress-relieving powers, as you can see by the points above, there are many more potential benefits. I hope this has provided you with a better understanding as to why we love this little, adaptogenic hero. Shoutout to Ashwagandha...even if it’s one of the most complicated words to spell.
Spritzler, Franziska. “12 Proven Health Benefits of Ashwagandha.” Healthline, 3 Nov. 2019, www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-ashwagandha-benefits#1.